Sustainable travel in Heinola's Heinäsaari
Heinäsaari wants to be involved in implementing responsible actions 😊. Heinäsaari's responsibility activities are based on the sustainable travel goals created by Visit Finland (Sustainable Travel Finland). Here, the criteria for sustainable travel are divided into three different dimensions of sustainability. A comprehensive sustainable travel plan is to be completed during 2023.
Below you can see a few measures that are implemented in Heinäsaari and which are part of Heinäsaari's responsible travel plan.
- We sort waste on the island.
- We strive to reduce food waste.
- Efforts have been made to reduce energy consumption.
- In accordance with the electricity contract, energy produced in a climate-friendly manner (water, wind and nuclear power).
- The island is located in the national urban park area, which is one of the Unesco Salpauselkä Global Geopark destinations. We are aware of it in our own operations and understand its meaning.
- We value local culture and cultural heritage.
- We co-operate with local operators.
- We communicate openly about our responsibility.
- Through communication, we try to commit travelers to responsibility.
- The cafe's offer also includes local delicacies and we prefer Finnish products.
- We pay attention to the working conditions and rights of our employees.
- We implement sustainable investments on the island.
- Our operations are long-term.
- We also employ locals during the high season.